osławice village was the first time mentioned in documents dated 1280, when it was donated to the Cistercian abbey in Ląd by Prince Przemyslaw II (d. 1295). Only three years later the land was bought from the Cistercians by Archbishop of Gniezno and from then until the middle of the 14th century the village belonged to the Church. Approximately at that time, probably before 1360, the estate became the property of Łaszcz from Gosławice,
Godziemba coat of arms, and remained in the possession of his heirs until the beginning of the 17th century. In 1362, the son of Łaszcz and Barbara of Radolina born, named Andrzej Łaskarz (d. 1426). He was a prominent diplomat, bishop and chancellor of polish Queen Jadwiga, who in 1418 founded here, in the family estate, a private castle and Gothic church.
VIEW FROM THE SOUTH
Andrzej Łaskarz (Laskary) of the Godziemba coat of arms (b. 1362) was the son of Łaszcz and Dorota, who is supposed to have been closely related to Piotr Wysz, Bishop of Cracow. His wealthy parents ensured that he received a thorough education. After completing his education in Brodnica, at the age of seventeen Andrzej was sent to Charles University in Prague, where he studied until the age of thirty. Shortly after receiving his licentiate degree, he was appointed provost of Włocławek and made his debut in diplomacy, where he went as an envoy to the court of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights Konrad Wallenrod. Seeing his chances for further professional development in education, he began his studies at the University of Padua, where he obtained his doctorate in 1405.
Andrzej's political career flourished after 1397, when he assumed the prestigious office of Queen Jadwiga's chancellor. In 1402 he became canon of Płock, and in 1405 served as chaplain to the German king
Ruprecht Wittelsbach. In the following years he acted as dean of Cracow and canon of Gniezno, and in 1412 became bishop of Poznań. He combined the management of ecclesiastical positions with diplomacy, participating in it as a royal envoy or procurator, usually involved in difficult relations with the Teutonic state. He was a signatory of the peace treaty in 1422, and two years later, standing before the pope, he refuted the accusations formulated by the Teutonic deputies. His role in the infamous Council of Constance should not be overlooked, where, as a member of the official Polish delegation, he took part in the work of the commission for matters of faith and in the disputes between Poland and Teutonic Order. He also had to face the accusations of a German Dominican, Jan Falkenberg, who in a "work" published and distributed among the participants of the Council, entitled Satire on heresies and other wickedness of Poles and their king Jagiełło, openly incited to kill pagans just because they are pagans - and Poles even more because they are allied with pagans (this document was condemned by pope only after polish knights Zawisza Czarny and Janusz from Tuliszkowo broke the gate to the papal palace and entered it by force, declaring that they would defend the honor of the Polish king with their mouths and hands).
In domestic politics Andrzej Łaskarz became known as the author of legal acts aimed at increasing discipline among clergy and improving pastoral work. He was also to some extent charitable, donating the income from bishop's mills to help the sick and the poor from Słupca, which belonged to the diocese, for which he was posthumously honored with a poem epitaph. He died in 1426 in the castle in Gosławice.
VIEW OF THE CASTLE FROM THE EAST, OPEN-AIR ETHNOGRAPHIC MUSEUM IN THE BACKGROUND
he history of Gosławice estate, especially its medieval period, is not well documented, and as a result we know relatively little about the oldest history of the castle and its owners. Presumably, after the bishop's death, his nephews, the Gosławscy of
Nałęcz coat of arms, took over the land that belonged to him. In 1504 Tomasz and Marcin Gosławski were mentioned in a lawsuit against Piotr Górski from Miłosław, who allegedly invaded and occupied the Gosławice castle. In the 1520s the stronghold or its part was owned by Jan Komornicki, and in the middle of the century by Andrzej Gosławski (d. 1580), castellan of Kamień Pomorski. He was inherited by one of his sons, Jan Gosławski, married Zofia of Zakrzewo,
Ogończyk coat of arms, who already as a widow in 1584 handed over a part of the property to her sons Jan and Łukasz. Łukasz remained at the castle, but in 1615 he ceded it to Zygmunt of Grudna Grudziński,
coat of arms Grzymała (d. 1618), the governor of Rawskie Province, for 80 thousand zlotys.
WESTERN WING OF THE CASTLE
fter Zygmunt's death the estate was taken over by his son, Andrzej Grudziński (d. 1648), and when he died, Gosławice and the adjacent granges were sold to the starost of Radziejów and the royal secretary
Wojciech Kadzidłowski of Ogończyk coat of arms (d. 1666). At that time the castle was probably damaged by the Swedish army. Although there are no documents directly referring to these events, archaeological research indicates that masonry works were carried out here in the mid-17th century, probably resulting from the need to repair war damage.
WESTERN PART OF THE COURTYARD
fter the war for short time the heir of Gosławice was Konstanty Lubrański, but soon the Inowrocław chamberlain Jan Kadzidłowski (d. 1716), settled here. At that time, the castle had been severely neglected and even partially demolished, as evidenced by an excerpt from an inspection done in 1682. After Jan's death the estate was managed by Konstancja from Lubraniec Dąmbska (d. 1744), who in the 1730s sold it to Marcin Zeth-Naramowski (d. before 1773) and his wife Barbara Chrząstowska (d. before 1760). In 1746 Gosławice was purchased by Józef Łącki of
Korzbok coat of arms (d. 1771), chamberlain of Brześć Kujawski, and later it was given to his son Melchior (d. 1829).
XVIII CENTURY CLASSICIST WING BUILT IN THE NORTH-EASTERN PART OF THE CASTLE
y the end of his life Melchior Łącki sold Gosławice to count Klemens Kwilecki of
Szreniawa coat of arms (d. after 1809), who purchased it for one of his six sons, Hektor Julian (d. 1843). He soon married
Maria Izabela von Tauffkirchen (d. 1855), but due to the poor technical condition of the castle the couple lived in a nearby manor, and when the manor was destroyed by storm and hailstorm, they moved to a modest outbuilding in Maliniec near Konin. In the 1830s, the abandoned castle became part of the grange, serving mainly as a brewery or distillery and partly as apartments for court employees. At that time, a four-storey neoclassical granary was erected between the castle and the church, which is now used as the main exhibition space for the museum.
XIXTH CENTURY GRANARY NOW HOUSES MUSEUM EXHIBITIONS, ON THE LEFT THERE IS AN OPEN-AIR MUSEUM OF MINING MACHINES
hen the estate was inherited by
Mieczysław Kwilecki (d. 1918), a banker, publisher and merchant from Wielkopolska, member of the Prussian House of Lords. This skilful entrepreneur was also a great enthusiast of sheep, and his sheep-oriented farm was repeatedly awarded at many international exhibitions, including Buenos Aires. Kwilecki and
Maria Mańkowska (d. 1924) had seven children. Gosławice was inherited by their oldest son Hektor (d. 1912), member of Reichstag and Papal chamberlain, and after him probably by his younger brother
Kazimierz (d. 1935). The last pre-war owner of Gosławice and Maliniec estates was Kazimierz's son,
Mieczysław Kwilecki, a soldier of Polish Legions, murdered by Soviets in 1940 near Kharkov.
NORTHERN PART OF THE COURTYARD, EARLY 20TH CENTURY PHOTOGRAPH AND PRESENT STATE
he poor technical condition of the castle after 1945 was not the result of direct warfare, but rather the consequence of the neglect by the previous owners, who apparently did not feel the need to emphasize its rich historical legacy. Soon after the war, the partially ruined interiors were used as warehouses and dwellings for former farm workers. Interest in the castle increased only in the 70s, when a decision was made to revitalize it and adapt for the seat of a regional museum. After eight years of reconstruction, the building was opened to the public in November 1986.
he brick castle was erected on the southeastern shore of the lake, on a small embankment, cut off from the land by a moat. It consisted of two parallel brick residential buildings forming a 22x25 meter square, connected by a
narrow wing that enclosed a small courtyard about 8 meters wide. Two-storey houses, with two rooms on each floor, were covered with steep gable roofs and equipped with shooting holes in the ground floor. The castle was completed by a short north wall with a gate.
PLAN OF THE CASTLE FROM THE SECOND HALF OF XV CENTURY: 1. RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS, 2. CENTRAL WING,
3. COURTYARD, 4. SPACING BETWEEN THE WALLS, 5. CORNER TURRETS, 6. PORCH LEADING TO TOILET TOWER
robably in the first half of the 15th century, although most likely after the death of castle's founder, a quadrangle of external walls was built, forming a rectangular plan measuring 38x42 meters.
Cylindrical turrets, 3.6 meters in diameter, were placed in each of its four corners. In the northern part, a porch supported by a brick arch was added, leading to a toilet tower protruding beyond the wall line. Next to it there was an entrance gate with a drawbridge supported by at least four pillars.
CASTLE CROSS-SECTION BY JANUSZ PIETRZAK
THE SOLID LINE INDICATES PRESERVED WALLS, THE DASHED LINE - RECONSTRUCTION
n the 1980s, the castle became the seat of Regional Museum in Konin, whose expositions concern the history of the region, art and development of artistic crafts in this land. The oldest period of settlement is documented in archaeological exhibition Prehistory of Konin Land situated in the castle cellars. A variety of flint tools dating back more than 7000 years, primitive adornments, agricultural and weaving equipment, and a
pottery from the Neolithic period have been collected here.
n the first floor of both buildings there are numismatic exhibitions, an interesting
collection of old lighting and
Judaica - an exposition of sacred objects and valuable items related to particular stages of Jewish life. Our attention is drawn here by a beautifully decorated Torah and characteristic Hanukkah lamps, as well as silverware and fragments of ritual costumes, probably buried in the ground during the Second World War and found in the 1990s near the former synagogue in Sompolno.
INTERIORS OF GOSŁAWICE CASTLE
he first floor of the west wing is occupied by historical exhibition
Ko­nin throughout the Ages, which illustrates history of the city from its beginnings to modern times. Its showpiece is a magnificent model of the urban complex from the first half of the 17th century and a ga­llery dedicated to medieval architecture. In the adjacent building, the Jewelry and Style collection displays jewelry decorations and
handicrafts made between the 16th and 20th centuries. It is the only permanent exhibition of its kind in Pol­and, the main component of which are nineteenth-century valuables representing the art of Biedermeier and Realism, supplemented by a collection of sentimental and patriotic jewelry. The castle's exhibition is completed by a small but valuable
gallery of Polish paintings of the 19th and 20th centuries, represented by works of such artists as Jan Ma­tejko, Jó­zef Me­hoffer, Wojciech Gerson and Ja­cek Malczewski.
POLISH PAINTING. WE CAN SEE HERE, AMONG OTHERS
'PORTRAIT OF A GIRL' BY JAN MATEJKO AND 'STUDIUM OF A MAN' BY JÓZEF MEHOFFER
n 2009, the museum gained a new exhibition space in a beautifully renovated granary, where natural history and geological exhibitions found their place. Its central part is occupied by a
life-size model of forest elephant, made on the basis of a skeleton from about 100,000 years ago, which was found in 1984 during excavation works in a lignite mine in Konin. It is supplemented by remains of other extinct large herbivores: woolly rhinoceros, forest rhinoceros,
woolly mammoth, aurochs, and bison, which lived in the area of today's Konin during the ice ages. The exhibition is complemented by fossils and copies of rock paintings, as well as numerous minerals and salt rocks excavated in the Inowrocław and Kłodawa salt mines. A separate part of the exposition consists of equipment and memorabilia related to lignite mining in this area, complemented by a
model of an opencast mine in 1:500 scale.
PALEONTOLOGICAL EXPOSITION IN THE GRANARY
The tour of the castle and granary takes about 1 hour.
he castle is located in the northern part of the city, about 9 kilometers from the city center. Driving from downtown one should follow Przemysłowa street (direction Ślesin, Inowrocław), and after passing the power plant
turn left into Gosławicka street. You can get here from the train station by taking bus number 56.
You can park the car on Gotycka Street, next to the church standing opposite the entrance to the museum.
1. Z. Anusik: Garwascy herbu Grzymała w XV-XVII wieku..., Przegląd Nauk Historycznych 2015
2. L. Kajzer, J. Salm, S. Kołodziejski: Leksykon zamków w Polsce, Arkady 2001
3. T. Poklewski-Koziełł: Studia o zamkach średniowiecznych, IAE PAN 2012
4. L. Stefaniak: Muzeum Okręgowe Konin-Gosławice - informator, Muzeum Okręgowe w Koninie 2012
5. A. Wagner: Murowane budowle obronne w Polsce X-XVIIw., Bellona 2019
WHEN THE CASTLE WAS BUILT, PANORAMA OF THE LAKE WAS PROBABLY A BIT MORE PICTURESQUE...
Castles nearby: Wyszyna - relics of the Renaissance castle from the 16th century, 25 km Koło - ruin of the royal castle from the 14th century, 37 km
Located on the square between the granary and the lake, a small open-air museum of mining machinery, where you can see the equipment once used in the local lignite mines. There are only a few exhibits here, among them small electric train with carts for transporting excavated material, a huge Siemens-Schuckert turbogenerator from the 1920s and a no less impressive Buckau R. Wolf A.G. Magdeburg briquette press from 1936. A little farther west, oak logs from several thousand years ago and the remains of fossilized tree trunks estimated to be....20 million years old were laid out along the path to the castle. They were also found in the local coal mines.
Open-air ethnographic museum consisting of five wooden buildings characteristic for rural architecture of the eastern Wielkopolska region. It occupies a small area, a little to the west of the museum, where a residential cottage from 1784, a barn and a replica of smithy, as well as two historic windmills have been arranged. The scenery here is complemented by a white brick manor house, which is a replica of the 18th century manor house in Ruszków near Koło. It houses an exhibition of old furniture and interior decoration, as well as a memorial room dedicated to Konin writer
Zofia Urbanowska (d. 1939).