lready in the Middle Ages, in the upper part of the village called Ober-Steine there was a small castle, probably a residential tower. It is possible that the relics of this Gothic stronghold are hidden in the cellars of the later palace and in the ground floor of the gate building, although no research has ever been done here to confirm this assumption. The first known manor house was built in 1590 on the initiative of Fabian von Reichenbach (d. 1605), the representative of the family that held the Scharfeneck estate from 1565, when Fabian's father, Gregor von Reichenbach of the Peterwitz-Quickersdorf line, bought it from Heinrich von Stillfried (d. 1615). At the time of completion, it was the second largest building of this type in Kłodzko County.
SCHARFENECK PALACE ON AN ENGRAVING FROM 1800
eichenbach family lost the property in the 1620s as a result of sanctions imposed by the imperial court for their supporting the Protestant Reich in the Thirty Years' War. In 1661 Lehngut Scharfeneck received
Johann Georg von Götzen (d. 1679), owner of Wambierzyce village and founder of the Wambierzyce parish church. During Thirty Years' War, Johann successfully served in the Imperial Army, thanks to which he was able to acquire landed property in Kłodzko County on convenient terms, and obtained the title of Baron and later - a Count. As the manor house Scharfeneck became the seat of the von Götzen family, it was soon rebuilt into a representative palace.
T. BLATTERBAUER'S LITHOGRAPHY FROM THE 80S XIX CENTURY
hen Johann Georg died, the estate was taken over by his son Johann Ernst (d. 1707), followed by grandson Johann Franz Anton Bonaventura (d. 1738), the founder of the beautiful St. John Nepomuk Chapel. In the first half of the 18th century the Götzen family brought Scharfeneck to its prosperity, enriching its spatial layout with a baroque summer palace, which occupies the opposite bank of the Włodzica river. After death of Johann Karl Joseph (d. 1771), who was the last representative of the Silesian family line, the estate was inherited by the governor of Kłodzko County, Prussian cavalry general Friedrich Wilhelm von Götzen (d. 1794). In 1866, his grandson
Gustav Adolf von Götzen (d. 1910), the later colonial governor of German East Africa, was born in the palace.
THE SCHARFENECK RESIDENCE SEEN FROM THE NORTH-WEST, 1911
EASTERN ELEVATION OF THE PALACE, 1929
n 1876 the Scharfeneck estate was bought by Heinrich Schneider, a lawyer from Jugowice, and then handed it over to his son Max Schneider. Between 1917 and 1937 the palace belonged to Rudolf Röβler. After his death it became the property of Eleonore Lilly Poppler de domo Röβler (d. 1940) and her husband Franz Poppler, professor of agricultural sciences. Despite the fact that during the Second World War the property did not suffer from military action, the presence of Soviet soldiers and the activity of Polish robbers caused that its equipment was stolen and the interiors were devastated.
THE PALACE IN THE 1930S
n 1945 Sarny was incorporated into the state agricultural holding: the residential part was then used for communal housing and the former farm was adapted as an animal breeding centre. This obviously had a disastrous effect on both of these places
(1)(2)(3). Although even worse times for the palace came with the liquidation of the farmstead in 1989, when the historical buildings lost their formal owner and thus were deprived of any protection. In a short time, the remains of decorative interior and equipment were stolen, the ceiling beams collapsed, and the beautiful chapel has been turned into a junkyard. When it seemed that Sarny would share the fate of many other Lower Silesian palaces and mansions, which fell down after the war and never rose, then a private investor appeared, who bought the ruin in 2013 with the intention of revitalizing it. Since that moment the palace slowly but consistently restores its long-lost glamour.
SARNY IN 2008, ON THE LEFT THERE IS THE RUIN OF A GRANARY
In 2010, there was a surprising news that a British foundation Save Britain's Heritage was applying to take over Sarny palace. This organisation, formed by a group of architects, historians and journalists, is active in saving and protecting European monuments, but what attracted the media's attention the most was its patron,
Prince Charles of Wales, son of Queen Elizabeth II. However, the sale of the property into the hands of the foundation never took place. Contrary to the sceptical opinions that this information was cheap and not a true sensation, Charles was seriously interested in Ścinawka. For this purpose, he even contacted the Polish Minister of Culture, who promised to sell the object for a symbolic sum in exchange for its revitalization. However, the Agricultural Property Agency under the Ministry of Agriculture put Sarny out to tender, which resulted that the Englishmen resigned because the initial agreement with them did not include this form of acquisition. The idea of buying in Poland and later revitalizing one of the former residences was born after the publication of report about Lower Silesian architectural historic sites, whose title best reflects their condition: Silesia: The Land of Dying Country Houses.
THE MANOR COMPLEX WITH THE PALACE, TOWER AND CHAPEL
he Renaissance manor house of the von Reichenbachs from 1590 was built on a mild hill over Włodzica river valley. It was a three-storey building made of stone and brick, with rooms on the ground floor covered with cross vaults and higher ones covered with wooden ceilings. The entrance to the courtyard led from the south through a residential gate building decorated with stone portals, preserved to the present day in a gothic form given to it in the 19th century. The dominant feature of the palace is an octagonal tower built in 1730 and crowned with a baroque cupola. Later, the building was modified many times, among other things, in 1762 a two-storey residential wing was erected, and in the 19th century the characteristic portico with a terrace was added. Facades of the palace were originally decorated with window frames and sgraffito imitating rustication. Residential and economic housing in the 18th century complemented a baroque summer palace and farm buildings, including an interesting granary with two Renaissance tops, whose walls were also covered with sgraffito decorations.
PLAN OF THE MANOR HOUSE: 1. PALACE, 2. CHAPEL, 3. PORCH WITH PASSAGEWAY TO THE COURTYARD, 4. TOWER
VAULTED PALACE GROUND FLOOR
fter 1722, a magnificent chapel of St. John of Nepomuk was erected on an ellipsis plan, connected to the manor house
via porch at the height of the first floor. Taking into account its form and size, the chapel in Sarny is actually a church. This definition is also suggested by the presence of main tower, constructed in the early 18th century in such way that it looks like a church bell tower. The chapel interior is covered by painting decoration made by Johann Franz Hoffman from Kłodzko, depicting the life and martyrdom of St. John Nepomuk, as well as by images of St. Appolonia and the patroness of von Götzen family - St. Barbara. The central part of the chapel is occupied by an altar with a very rare image of dead saint, above which there is a cartouche with medallion and inscription DIVU[S] IOANNE[S] NEPOMU[K] SA[N]CTU[S]. Valuable Baroque stucco and frescoes were restored in the 1970s and have been preserved in good condition to the present day.
n initiative of the palace owners, The Sarny Castle Trust was established in 2014, whose main goal is to revitalize the palace complex, as well as cultural and scientific activities related to the protection of heritage and popularization of issues concerning history and art. During the first few years of its operation,
the granary roof was rebuilt, the fallen ceilings were partially reconstructed and new cupola was installed on the baroque tower. Furthermore, in carefully renovated
gate house a stylish café has started its business. After completion of the renovation, the expected duration of which is cautiously estimated by the investors as two decades, there are plans to open a hotel in this place together with a small museum and the accompanying local cultural centre aimed at promoting historical music, of which one of owners of the manor is a lover.
IN THE PALACE CAFÉ
The courtyard, chapel, and one of the chambers in the ground floor of the palace are open for tours. Admission is free.
Entering with a dog rather possible. The dog should be on a leash.
Recreational flight free zone.
The Sarny Castle Trust
Ścinawka Górna 40e, 57-410 Ścinawka Górna
tel. 74 814 34 16
VIEW OF THE PALACE FROM THE SOUTH
"THE LITTLE COURTYARD" BETWEEN THE GATE BUILDING AND THE CHAPEL
cinawka Górna is situated by the road 386 connecting Kłodzko with the border crossing leading to Broumov in Czech Republic. The palace occupies the northern part of the village - driving towards the border, the building is well visible on the right. The easiest way to get to the village is by bus from Nowa Ruda, a little more difficult from Kłodzko and Radków, where there run only a few buses a day.
We can park a car in front of the gate building.
There are also bicycle racks at the gate.
1. J. Lamparska: Zamkowe tajemnice, Asia Press 2009
2. R. Łuczyński: Zamki, dwory i pałace w Sudetach, Wspólnota Akademicka 2008
3. M. Perzyński: Dolnośląskie zamki, dwory i pałace, WDW 2012
4. M. Perzyński: Zamki, twierdze i pałace Dolnego Śląska i Opolszczyzny, WDW 2006
SARNY PALACE SEEN FROM THE WEST...
...AND FROM THE EAST
Ścinawka Średnia - the Renaissance manor house from the XVI century, 4 km
Nowa Ruda - the fortified manor house from the 14th century, rebuilt, 6 km
Ścinawka Dolna - the Renaissance manor house from the XVI century, 8 km Ratno Dolne - the ruin of castle from the 16th century, 10 km
Szalejów - the St. George fortified church from the 14th century, 19 km Kłodzko - the fortress from the 17th-18th centuries, 21 km
Srebrna Góra - the fortress from the 18th century, 21 km
Stary Wielisław - the St. Catherine of Alexandria fortified church from the 14th century., 26 km Bardo Śląskie - relics of ducal castle from the 14th century, 28 km
Rudnica - the ruin of fortified manor house from the 16th century, 28 km
Stoszowice - the castle from 13th-17th century, 28 km Żelazno - the Gothic residential tower from the 15th century, 28 km
In Wambierzyce, (12 kilometres south of Ścinawka) the magnificent Baroque Basilica erected in the years 1715-23 by Johann Franz von Götzen, the owner of Sarny palace. The church was built on the basis of a temple founded only twenty years earlier by Count Daniel von Ostenberg from Ratno Dolne, which, however, soon began to collapse and was dismantled. To basilica, called Lower Silesian Jerusalem, lead
monumetal stairs with fifty-seven steps, symbolizing the sum of Christ's years at death, Mary's age at the time of conception and the number of angelic choirs. From the top of the stairs there is a picturesque view of the numerous calvary stations situated on the adjacent hill.
The church rises to a height of 52 meters, which combined with its location above the level of the surrounding buildings makes it look like an impressive palace. Its façade is ornamented with rich decorations including figures of saints and scenes of Mary's coronation by the Holy Trinity, under which the coat of arms of the Habsburg Empire is placed. The Baroque interior of the temple is decorated with paintings and sculptures, of which the works of Carol Sebastian Flacker are particularly noteworthy: the richly ornamented pulpit and
the main altar containing the miraculous statue of the Virgin Mary.