here is no certainty regarding the time of the construction and the founder of the stone castle in Rybnica Leśna. This investment is most often associated with
Bolko I (d. 1301), Duke of Świdnica and Jawor, although according to some historians this region belonged in the first half of the 14th century to the Luxembourgs, and the castle was built by the Czechs as a counterbalance to the nearby Rogowiec fortress belonging to the Silesian principality. In 1350 the castle, mentioned as Vredinberg das Haus, became, together with the associated estates: Mieroszów, Unisław Śląski, Golińsko, Różana, Kowalowa and Sokołowsko, a knightly fief that was used by Mertin von Schwenkfeld. Later, in 1355, it belonged to brothers Reyncz, Hannos and Jerislav von Schwenkfeld, who have been accused of robbery, as a result of which Radosno castle was taken from them by the royal army.
RELICS OF A RESIDENTIAL BUILDING (ABOVE) AND FOUNDATIONS OF A GATE TOWER IN THE WESTERN PART OF THE CASTLE HILL
n the following year, the knight Hersco de Rozdialowicz bought the castle as a hereditary fief for 140,000 groschen, but he didn't stay here to long, because already in 1359 the discussed territory was incorporated into the Duchy of Świdnica ruled by
Bolko II, and after his death in 1369 - to his wife Agnieszka (d. 1392). At that time the Radosno burgrave was already the bishop of Wrocław, Preczlaw von Pogarell (d. 1376). In 1388, Heinrich von Rechenberg became the owner of the fief with Festen Frewdenberg. Then he modernized and expanded the castle, as evidenced by the Duchess's documents, in which she guarantees him reimbursement for this investment.
TOWER ON T. BLATTENBAUER'S ENGRAVING FROM AROUND 1885
fter the death of Agnieszka in 1392, the castle and the whole Świdnica-Jawor Principality became the property of Czech rulers and since then it has changed owners several times. During the Hussite wars it was besieged at least twice (1427, 1434), but it is not known whether the attackers succeeded in capturing it. As a result of the political chaos prevailing in Silesia and the weakening of central power caused by devastating religious conflicts, the owners of Radosno, as well as the administrators of many other sudetian strongholds, engaged in robbery. Their activity did not remain unanswered and already in 1443 one of the retaliatory expeditions organized by Wrocław burghers conquered the castle and then partially destroyed it. However, it was rebuilt before 1466 by brothers Hans and Nikolaus von Schellendorf, who continued a rogue 'traditions' of the previous inhabitants. Finally, in 1497, by order of the King of Bohemia
Władysław Jagiellończyk (d. 1516), the starost Georg von Stein (d. 1497) invaded the castle, conquered it and ordered the demolition of its walls. Since then, Radosno has remained in ruins.
THE OLD PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE CASTLE RADOSNO. IN UPPER LINE A MEMORIAL POSTCARD FROM 1902 AND A PHOTOGRAPH FROM 1920
AT THE BOTTOM A PHOTO FROM THE 30s XX CENTURY AND A WINTER VIEW SHOWING THE CONDITION OF THE TOWER IN THE 60s
t seems highly probable that the oldest part of the castle was built around 1300 or even earlier. The original fortification consisted of a cylindrical tower, 8 metres in diameter and unknown height, surrounded by wooden-soil fortifications, with an entrance at a height of 4 metres above ground level. The building occupied the highest, southeastern part of the hill, on which in the 14th century a residential house was built on a rectangular plan with dimensions of 9.5 x 10.5 meters. Defensive walls formed a fortified circuit of 30 x 17 meters. Access to the castle was protected by 6-metre square-shaped gate tower integrated into the north-western walls, and by a deep moat (4 metres deep and 3.5 to 7 metres wide).
PLAN OF THE CASTLE ACCORDING TO R. MRUCZEK: 1. CYLINDRICAL TOWER, 2. RESIDENTIAL BUILDING, 3. GATE TOWER
RECONSTRUCTION OF THE XIV CENTURY CASTLE ACCORDING TO R. MRUCZEK
he ruins of the tower, about 12 meters high, as well as the recently uncovered modest remains of the residential building in the north-western part of the castle have survived to this day.
TOWER SEEN FROM THE WEST
EVEN HERE THERE IS GARBAGE (UNFORTUNATELY IT IS A PLAGUE IN POLAND)
Access to the castle is unlimited. However, due to the systematically deteriorating condition of the ruins, one should be very careful when approaching the tower, as there is some risk of accident caused by falling stones. It is also worth putting high shoes on your feet, because you can meet a
zigzag viper in the surrounding meadows.
We will visit the ruin in ca. 10-15 minutes.
We can bring our dog with us, but it should be on a leash. Remember about vipers!
Drone flight must be reported via Droneradar app (no permission required). In late spring and summer, the tower is obscured by trees.
adosno Castle stands in the westernmost part of the nameless hill, at an altitude of about 770 m above sea level. It is less than a kilometer from the
tourist shelter Andrzejówka. To get there from the shelter, follow the green trail to the west and after a few hundred metres change to the yellow trail. Further on, the road leads to a higher and higher ridge straight to the castle. Those travelling by train should get out at Wałbrzych Główny railway station, from where a 10 km long walk awaits them. An alternative is the public transport bus line 12, which runs several times a day from Wałbrzych directly to Andrzejówka.
The shelter can also be reached by car. However, due to the
quarry area (which is on the way), in certain hours the road may be closed for safety reasons.
Access by bicycle according to directions as above.
1. M. Chorowska: Rezydencje średniowieczne na Śląsku, OFPWW 2003
2. L. Kajzer, J. Salm, S. Kołodziejski: Leksykon zamków w Polsce, Arkady 2001
3. R. Łuczyński: Chronologia dziejów Dolnego Śląska, Atut 2006
WHEN YOU FOLLOW THE GREEN TRAIL TO SOKOŁOWSKO, YOU PASS THE RUIN ON YOUR LEFT
Castles nearby: Grzmiąca - ruins of Rogowiec castle from the 13th century, 4 km Wałbrzych - remains of Nowy Dwór castle from the 14th century, 9 km Zagórze Śląskie - ruins of Grodno castle from the 14th-16th century, 18 km Grzędy - remains of Konradów castle from the 14th century, 20 km Czarny Bór - ruins of a duke's castle from the 14th century, 20 km
ALSO WORTH SEEING:
The Kamienne Mountains with the largest and most beautiful part of them called the Suche Mountains, in the heart of which the castle Radosno stands. This range is sometimes called Sudeten Tatras because of its steep slopes and sharply pointed peaks. The highest peak of the Suche Mountains is the Waligóra (934-936 m above sea level), rising above the picturesque Three Valleys Pass, on which the Andrzejówka hostel is located. Most of their surface is covered by spruce forests inhabited by
In the western part of this mountain range there is the picturesque town of Sokołowsko (Ger. Gorbersdorf). In the 19th century it gained great fame as the first tuberculosis sanatorium in the world, which was not accidentally called Silesian Davos. Today there is little left of this splendour and although the town looks half-dead nowadays, sometimes even disgusting with its devastated buildings, the neglected spa park and the general atmosphere of the worst version of communism, it is hard to resist the charm of Sokołowsko, which still gives hope that its collapse is not definitive. When considering the monuments, it is also worth to mention one of the oldest wooden temples in Sudetes, the 16th century church of St. Jadwiga of Silesia in Rybnica Leśna. It is accompanied by a 400-year-old wooden belfry, and well visible from the road leading to Andrzejówka.
On the photographs, starting from the top left corner: 1. The green trail on the way to Sokołowsko, 2. View from the green trail to St. Michael's Archangel Orthodox Church in Sokołowsko, 3. Panorama of town Sokołowsko, 4. The green trail between Andrzejówka and Radosno castle, 5. Andrzejówka hostel on the Three Valleys Pass, 6. The yellow trail on way to the ruins of Radosno castle (author in the photo), 7. St. Jadwiga of Silesia Church in Rybnica Leśna, 8. St. Michael the Archangel Orthodox Church in Sokołowsko, 9. Streetview of Sokołowsko